Driving in the EU after Brexit

If you're planning to drive in other European countries after 29 March 2019, you'll need a motor insurance Green Card and other documents.

A Green Card is essentially an international insurance certificate -- providing proof that you have motor insurance cover when driving abroad. It's already a requirement when driving in any non-EU country.

After we leave the EU it's likely that you'll need to carry one when driving in Europe, and that includes in the Republic of Ireland. You may also need a separate Green Card for any trailer you take with you.

Your insurer will usually provide a Green Card free of charge -- but make your request at least one month in advance of your trip.

You shouldn't need a Green Card if you hire a car abroad, as the rental company's insurance should cover you. However, you may well need one if you rent a car in the UK for use in the EU.

Something else to be aware of is that the document must be printed on green paper. So if your insurer emails you the Green Card it's essential to print it out on green paper or it won't be valid.

Make sure the document covers you for all the countries you plan to drive through. It must also have a minimum of 15 days' cover left on it, or you'll need to renew the Green Card before you travel.

Keep the Green Card in the vehicle when travelling within the EU.

If the UK leaves the EU without a deal, you may also need an International Driving Permit (IDP) or international licence in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries. Available for £5.50 at the Post Office, this document allows foreign officials to quickly and easily check your credentials. But make sure you get the right type: the 1949 IDP is valid in Cyprus, Iceland, Malta and Spain, while 1968 IDPs must be purchased for driving in most other EU countries and Norway.

You shouldn't need an IDP to drive in Ireland, as Ireland does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries.

To learn more about the other changes and requirements, including GB stickers, trailer registration, and making a claim after a road traffic accident, head to the UK Government's web page on driving in the EU and EEA after Brexit: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/prepare-to-drive-in-the-eu-after-brexit.